Graves circle added to historic places register
A circle of miners' graves laid out in Leach Cemetery more than a century ago, casualties of the Fraterville Mine disaster of 1902, has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Coal Creek Watershed Foundation, a nonprofit group that promotes environmental conservation and historic preservation in the former mining community, will hold a dedication May 19, the 103rd anniversary of the Fraterville Mine explosion.
An estimated 200 men and boys died in the disaster, one of the worst in U.S. mining history. Several miners, trapped after the explosion, left touching notes to loved ones before they suffocated.
The victims were buried in 20 cemeteries. But the largest group was in Leach Cemetery, where their graves dramatically circled a monument. Tony Van Winkle of the East Tennessee Development District nominated the site for inclusion on the nation's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation.
— Associated Press
[Master Plan] [Map] [Photo Gallery]
[Bank Stabilization Projects]
[Deadwood Removal Days] [Discovery Day 2000] [Scrape, Paint & Clean Day 2000]
[Historic Fraterville Mine Disaster Field Trip 2001] [Fraterville Mine Disaster 100th Anniversary]
[Coal Creek War and Mining Disasters] [Mine Reclamation Lessons]
[CMD] [Economic Benefits] [Motor Discovery Trail] [Historic Cemeteries]
[Partners] [Schools in Watershed] [Mark the Trail Day]
[Awards] [Coal Creek Health Days]
[Briceville School History Field Trips] [Ghost Stories]
[Trout Stuff] [Join Us] [Eastern Coal Region Roundtable]
[Articles in the News] [Dream Contest]
Creek Watershed Foundation, Inc. 2000 through 2020
CELEBRATING OUR 20th YEAR!!